‘Tis the season for major projects and remodels, often requiring the help of a professional. Use these tips to help you hire the right professional for the job.
Shop around for the right company.
- Get at least three written estimates.
- Ask for and check references. If possible, look at jobs the contractor recently completed.
- Check with your local chamber of commerce or Better Business Bureau for complaints.
- Be sure that the contractor has the necessary licenses and insurance, as well as the ability to obtain permits.
- Ask if the contractor’s workers will do the entire job or whether subcontractors will be involved.
Read the contract carefully.
- Be sure the contract states exactly what is to be done and how change orders will be handled.
- Check that the contract states when the work will be completed and what recourse you have if it isn’t.
- Make sure the contract indemnifies you if work does not meet building codes or regulations.
- Be sure that the contract specifies who will clean up after the job and be responsible for any damage.
- Ensure that the materials meet your specifications.
Seal the deal.
- Remember that you can often cancel a contract within three business days of signing it.
- Make a small down payment so you won’t lose much if the contractor fails to complete the job.
- Don’t make the final payment until you’re satisfied with the work.
Looking for a contractor? Let us know! We can connect you with respected and reliable contractors!